Thursday, May 04, 2006

on the road...

The first show went off with only one hitch, or a glitch really. For anyone familiar with Plumb’s music, you know that there’s a good degree of programming involved. During the tune “Sleep”, the computer somehow skipped, putting the band and the sequence in different places. Aside from that, the show was a success. Not bad for the first go.

We’re driving in this giant yellow bus we have affectionately dubbed, “Nanner Puddin”. It used to belong to Alan Jackson and has been appointed with leopard upholstery and enough paintings of lions on the walls to do Graceland’s Jungle Room proud. Why Alan, why? Sleeping on the bus is interesting too as the bunk is something of a cocoon. The ceiling is too low to even sit up and I have to climb over two others to get to it; that’s what I get for being the new guy.

I truly feel humbled right now to be earning a living doing something I love so much. The company is good, the money is good, and the music is good, which is everything you can ask for from a gig. I also love to travel and while I’ve only been gone a few days, I love this whole tour thing. You sleep on the bus, wake up in the next city, have the morning and afternoon to do whatever you want and then you play a show at night. The only awkward thing is the limited access to showers. Our bus driver gets a hotel in every city so he can sleep during the day but we can’t afford hotel rooms otherwise. This means that once the bus is packed after the show, we head down to the driver’s room and all nine of us take turns using the shower. I’ve always enjoyed using wet towels.

There’s something very exciting about stepping into a band, having had nothing but the CD’s as a reference and everything sounding exactly like the CD. I can't tell you how many times I've played shows or recitals with people and it just didn't sound like it was supposed to. Tiffany’s voice is the same live as on the record and the guys are all great musicians. It’s also humbling and a lot of fun to be playing along side someone you’ve listened to and known for many years.

I am grateful that I have been provided the opportunities in my life. I play the guitar because I feel God’s pleasure when I do. I’ve finally come into a place where I no longer stand on a stage marked with insecurity and fear. Last night I felt no anxiety or insecurities, which is a growing trend in my life. I’ve always, ever since I was ten, been nervous to play in front of anyone, in my home, at school, at church even. I used to practice for hours and hours because I wanted to reconcile myself to my peers through the guitar and earn their approval. Come college, I just got burned out and only played as much as I absolutely had to but now I have been shown freedom from such a selfish pursuit and I am loving my instrument more than I have in years. Beyond that, though, I am experiencing God in this freedom more than ever and I rejoice over the fact that I am no longer just longing for the day in which I find my way into God’s purpose but am, rather, living in it. I feel joy.
I’m in Gainesville today and spend the rest of the week in south Florida. I’ll be home in Nashville by around 10 AM on Tuesday and in town for a week before the second leg of the tour. Today is my friend Lele’s birthday so everyone drop her a line and wish her well. Cheers!

2 comments:

emily said...

i'm proud of you friend!

Lele said...

thanks for the shout out! i'm SO happy for you!!