Tuesday, May 16, 2006

and the boredom sets in...

I'm mercilessly bored. It's not that I don't enjoy being home, but I feel like I've kind of just hit a wall of things I can do right now. I've been up since 6 this morning, which was certainly a surprise considering I didn't go to bed until 1:30 and had nothing to get up for today. Why did I get up a six, might you ask? I've been coughing enough to dispatch the health department (I've heard rumors of bubonic plague) and quite frankly, it's just not worth trying to sleep anymore. It's a cough to no means and I think that's the most irritating part. If I was at least removing mucus or pieces of my lung, I would feel like I was accomplishing something. I'd even settle for some blood, though I fear the medical ramifications of that one.

Presently, I am waiting on Ralph, our landlady's handyman of choice, to pay us a visit. Ralph is an odd bird, still sporting the Dale Earndhart mustache and shorts that just don't quite make it to the lower third of his thighs. Ralph is coming to fix the shower in the master bath which means two things. The water to the house will be turned off all day, which is fine because I've showered and topped off the Brita. Second, he has to rip a wall out of my bathroom to work on the other one. Fantastic. All my housemates are working this morning so I have to stay here all day until he finishes. Add to the boredom.

I finished the book I've been working, 1984. I loved it and am a bit disappointed it's over. This presents the new problem. I compulsively collect books and rarely read any of them; 1984 took a year between purchase and commencement. Now I must convince myself that I have a book I want to read rather than buying a new one. I must then choose one between the quarry's worth of books stacked around my room. Fiction? Non? Spiritual thought? So many choices and so much time.

And good Lord, I have never seen so many squirrels in my life! They're all over my yard and I think they're in heat! Can you tell that I'm bored yet?

OK, now I feel ungrateful. Just the other day I blogged about how nice it was to be home and to relax, blah, blah, blah. I meant that, but I guess I'm presently confused as to why I'm having such a hard time sitting still. Part of it could be that I have a lot I want to do this week, plans if you will, and I haven't been able to schedule anything because the Plumb folk have been saying we're going to have some rehearsals. My playing responsibilities are about to increase a good bit (more on this to come) but no schedule has been given, meaning I've just been sort of waiting around in a limbo. It's really not that bad, I don't want anyone to think I'm complaining.

On another note, why do I do this? The blog, that is. Is it so I can avoid telling people in person what's going on in my life? I hope not. Is it for the simple validation of knowing people are keeping up with me (who are you people anyway?)? Maybe. Is it so I wont feel like such a faker when I tell people I like to write? Probably. But even still, it's not like I'm really putting any kind of creative expression into this. No matter the reason, it's fun and I like it. So please keep reading or at least let me think you are. I appreciate you. Cheers!

2 comments:

Lele said...

cheers to you, whitney! i especially liked the part where you wrote about the squirels in heat...i laughed out loud. thanks for that.
don't let your boredom get the best of you...

emily said...

your boredom will cease to be in existence shortly my friend....fear not, enjoy the quiet...play with scott's bowstaff!