Friday, May 26, 2006

it's raining in baltimore...

It's 2AM and I'm sitting in the lobby of the Radisson Hotel in Baltimore. I'm not a guest but the internet as free and they don't know I'm not paying customer. The bar is close by and I'm listening a small group of middle-aged men discussing stocks and speculative politics. I'm grateful my worth isn't tied up in speculation.

I've spent the last two hours hanging around the bus with our driver Phil, watching him try and fix our generator which conveniently quit woring. The generator gives us lights, air, and all the rest that makes it possible for us to sleep when the engine's off and once the generator went, the batteries drained too. We asked the hotel we're using for showers (not the Radisson) if they had an official car or something that could give us a jump. The valet eagerly runs to lend a hand and returns with one of the guest's SUV's. This is why I don't valet. Phil then proceeds to tell us stories from the road. Take for instance the time he dumped the bus's water tank (septic tank) in front of a night club that had a line dozens deep standing in front. Or the ways he tries to circumvent the various laws that make his job irritating.

The tour has been good so far. The bus is a vast improvement over the last one which we so affectionately called Nanner Puddin. This one's a little more state of the art and the suspension works which means I don't hit my head on the top of my bunk every time the bus hits a pothole. The curtain on my bunk actually closes which is a nice improvement as well. The rest of the routine is pretty standard; sleep late (but not that late really), eat, do nothing, play, do nothing, sleep. The free time is nice but there sure is a lot of it.

The shows have been better than the last run as well with the crowds consistantly growing. The first show was a glorified coffee shop in the DC area and then the last two nights have been clubs in New York and Philadelphia respectively.

New York was a great afternoon, being my first trip into the city in ten years. We road the subway with this crazy lady who yelled at the whole car and then individually yelled at each person. Next, an immigrant woman harassed me in the East Village. She was the text-book elderly immigrant stereotype, shawl around the shoulders, scarf over the head, poor posture, no teeth. Sort of a Mother Theresa who never went to catholic school. She informs me that the Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz is Turkish, which he probably isn't, and tells me that I'm Irish, which I'm not. She then asks me if I speak German, in German, and slaps me on the shoulder, laughs, and walks away! What in the world! She, no exaggeration, spoke three different languages in our exchange; it was hilarious. After eating a hotdog wrapped in bacon, we sprinted uptown, played a good show which was attended by a former Styx bassist who is also our bassist's father, and went on our way. New York is an interesting place in that it is completely impossible to grasp the scope of the city when you are inside of it. It reminded me of being in the Grand Canyon, the way that from the bottom you would never know just how large it really is. The buildings tower to the effect of disorientation, yet nothing seems quite as big as you think it is - ie, the Empire State Building.

Today has been a day off in Baltimore and as much as I hate to say it, Baltimore kind of sucks. It's dirty, the people are rude (Tiffany and baby got cornered by a man today and were rescued by an observant cop), and there's nothing much to do despite the fact we're in the middle of downtown. I did go to the aquarium today which was certainly fun. I'm kind of a sucker of attractions of the scientific kind, especially aquariums, and didn't hesitate to blow a full day's per-diem on a ticket. The only problem is that is spent another day's worth and more on dinner and erronious purchases like ice-cream. But a city is no place to spend a free day in if they tell you not to go anywhere alone and Baltimore is such a place.

Well, it's 2:30 now and my eyelids are slowly gaining dominion over my brain. I was hoping to get up in the morning for some Dunkin' Doughnuts while I'm up north and should get some rest if that's the case; I don't know why they all had to disappear down south. I hope everyone is well. Drop me a line if you get bored. Cheers!

3 comments:

Vitamin Z said...

Too much free time on the road. I hear you. I kind of like it actually, but if you don't have wifi, it can be a bit tedious. I would lose my mind without my laptop. We are at Spirit West Coast right now. San Diego is beauitful. We play at 3 and then head up the coast for a couple more shows. Wild times. Hope to see you soon.

z

Vitamin Z said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lele said...

i love the title of this blog....i took a picture of "sullivan st." when i was in new york