Saturday, May 20, 2006

say "ahhh"

They say that every man has a limit, that no matter how tough, or in my case, stubborn, you must eventually give in. Two weeks down the road, I finally decided to do something about my cough and made my way to the Edmundson Pike Walk-in clinic this morning. Apparently doctors read a book in med-school that must be titled something like, "101 Uses for Beige". This doctor was a kind Asian man who only made me wait as long as my paper-work required. He tested me for strep and all the pleasantries, got a few "Oh, that's not terrible" comments when checking various cavities in my head, and all and all, a good report. There's been a virus going around and he said I needed an antibiotic to clear up the after affects.

I then went to the nearest Walgreens to fill my prescription and was informed that my insurance company had no record of me as a customer. I find this interesting, considering the quite active card I carry in my wallet and the bill that my parents so generously help me with every month. And speaking of my parents, I'm glad they are enjoying their continued vacation and are ignoring my phone calls. I can understand wanted to get away but avoiding your sick children!!!! Just kidding, Dad (and Mom, but I don't think you read this).

I'm dog sitting at the moment as well. Her name is Scout, named for her mother's love of Harper Lee, and she is something of a joy. She has mad frisbee skills.

Last night I watched the much debated and hyped "The Da Vinci Code". First of all, I liked the book because it was entertaining and very well researched, though I don't think Dan Brown is going to be winning the Penn-Faulkner any time soon. It was also hard to read at times, given some of the claims the book makes. The movie brought back that discomfort but failed to share the same excitement and was, quite frankly, boring.

Both the movie and the book did, however, make me realize how rarely my faith is called into question. Even though I know the story is based in fiction and unfounded research, I also realize that there are a lot of things in Christianity that require faith. Take the resurrection, for instance. I guess it's just the nature of Christianity in America. The Bible says we should meet persecution with joy but that is not something I've been able to experience. I envy the perseverance of believers in places like China or the Sudan. I would like to say that I could be faithful until my death but in all of my comfort, I have no idea.

I'm going to run now. Tonight we break in the grill and I best get some things done before we do. A good weekend to all. Cheers!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

short story...short story...short story...