Saturday, May 13, 2006

get behind the mule...

Ugh, this congestion is driving me crazy. I woke up beginning of this week to a cold and while I certainly feel better, I've got this nagging cough that is simply irritating. It's one of those deals where no matter how much you cough, that itch that's causing it never really goes way. While I've always pretty resistant to the seasonal bugs, my lungs are pushovers. I picked up this respiratory infection a few years ago while sleeping in a Haitian church and while the infection lasted about 3 months, I still feel it from time to time, making the average cold stick around a little longer than it should. I'm not complaining; I guess I'm just bored and thought you might want to know. Fun times...anyway...

The first leg of the tour came to a close on Tuesday. All is well, so far, as I'm adjusting well to the travel and am happy to be playing. I'm in town for a bit before we go out again and I'm finding the lack of responsibility refreshing. Take today, for instance. I spent the first several hours of it writing, did some laundry, practiced a bit and then had dinner with friends. I don't write much these days and I find it refreshing; it's not much but an idea I'm enjoying working through. I started this blog with the hopes of posting some of the shorter pieces I write but I've yet to do it so maybe I'll put this one up before long. Other than that, my only responsibility is a much needed haircut next week, leaving me with a lot of time to kill. My parents are currently enjoying an ocean-front penthouse in Destin that belongs to some of their friends; perhaps I can carve out a few days and join them.

I bought a Tom Waits record tonight, "Mule Variations." It's good stuff, maybe check it out. Enjoy the weekend. Cheers!

No comments: