Thursday, April 06, 2006

the rubber and the road

I had to get new tires today. Why is it that every time you get something done to your car they find some kind of impending catastrophe you need repaired? This time it’s suspension; does that mean car will eventually collapse onto the highway only to skid into some ditch and my demise? I certainly hope not. My hope is, rather, that new tires will provide me with a bit of stability and safety until I can get rid of my car, which is hopefully soon.

I sat in my living room this morning with another hope, that my father would call and upon hearing I was getting new tires today, would offer to buy them for me. And being the remarkable father he is, he did call and he did offer. I, of course, clung to my pride with white knuckles and declined, but simply the fact that he offered brings me comfort knowing my father is still very much my father.

I do the same to my mom. Whenever we talk, I fully expect her to ask various questions that considerately pry into my life. I rarely share details and her poking into my social life, as well as my friends, reminds that she is still my mother, still interested, and still loves me, no matter how closed she might perceive me to be.

I find it all to be funny but endearing.

The reasoning for new tires is that I have to drive to Pensacola this evening for a gig. Tomorrow, the guys and I will play twice and then I have to drive through the night to Chattanooga where my folks live. My grandmother, Eloise Stiles, is marrying her long-time boyfriend, Robert, on Saturday morning. I know him far better than I knew my actual grandfather, despite the fact he lived until the end of my high school years; I guess this has been a long time coming. It’s also my first time home since Christmas and I’m excited about it.

I guess that’s about it for now. Everyone have a good weekend. Get outside, go see a movie. Try Slither, it’s hilarious. Cheers!

1 comment:

Lele said...

dearest whitney,

thank you for the loving and endearing story of your parents and your tires.

sincerely,

lele