Saturday, April 22, 2006

Mr. Whit Goes to Washington...

I finally got connected to the internet after a few days web isolation. It's not that I can't live without the internet but for once, I actually needed to check my email something important, which as of right now, hasn't come. Oh well.

So, I'm in Richmond, helping a friend lead worship at the training center for the International Mission Board. Getting here was a bit of an ordeal as my traveling companion never really confirmed the flight information and when we arrived at the airport at what was believed to be the appropriate time, we discovered our flight had already left. Fun times. They moved us onto a flight through Dallas, which makes perfect sense, and we eventually landed in Norfolk, about five hours late. It was all pretty funny, really.

I went to Washington yesterday and spent some much needed time of solitude wandering the mall. I stopped in at the new World War II memorial, paying homage to people such as my grandfather who understood courage and honor in a way my nihilistic and narcissistic generation could never understand. I felt inspired standing in memorial of people who fought for something important, for life and its integrity. My grandfather was in the Air Force, was shot down twice and received the Purple Heart for his service; we miss him.

After a couple of hours seeing all things related to the mall on Washington, I went to the National Geographic Museum and saw a fascinating exhibit on the Gospel of Judas. There was also this great photographic journal about the restoration of the North Western Archipelago of Hawaii; basically the part of the islands tourists don't go. The photographers took portraits of the wildlife, from crustaceans and fish to birds and the such, in the same way portraits of people are taken. Basically, they were isolated behind some kind of solid background and photographed. It was one of those moments in which I was completely taken in by creation; truly remarkable.

On another note, I confirmed some summer plans yesterday. I am official going on the road with Plumb for close to thirty shows in May and June, starting May 3 and ending June 24th. I'm excited and a bit anxious as I've never been out on the road for that long before. It'll be fun but I've got a lot to do between now and then. That being said, if you read this and want to hang out next week before I leave, let me know. Cheers!

2 comments:

Lele said...

I WANNA HANG OUT WITH YOU!!!!!!! Gosh, you will be missed!

emily said...

whit....you come home today and that makes me sooo happy! though it is sad to be away from friends while you are on the road....at least you'll get some fun road trip packages out of it!!!