Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Honkeytonk Badonkadonk.

Wildhorse week is in full swing here in Nashville. Randy and the band, of which I am one, played our first show tonight to a surprisingly active and receptive audience. We were encouraged by the response and by the way we played together on our first time out. I was encouraged by the fact that I passed myself off as a country guitarist for three hours and that we got done earlier than expected. To me, playing country is sort of like swimming in Jello. You can do it, it's fun because you're swimming in Jello, but you're not really that good at it and certainly can't do it for very long. Ok, so maybe that's not the best example. What I'm saying is I'm a fake when it comes to country and I've never had to fake it for as long as I had to tonight and it went better than I thought it could.

The air is pleasantly cool tonight, lying under the windows in my living room. Our air conditioning blows, but not in the way that it should, and I've slept on my bare mattress for the last two weeks to aleviate the heat. Our landlady has ordered us a new air compressor to hopefully fix the problem. I feel a slight sense of irony over this as it was the air compressor that exploded and burned my last residence down. Fun times. Seriously, it was kind of fun. I can explain sometime if anyone really wants to know why.

You know when you get pre-occupied with something and it makes you worry about insignificant things? This isn't something I normally deal with but right now I feel a bit elsewhere. I don't really like carrying things around like this but I don't really feel like I have any other options. Sorry for being vague. I initially thought about the title of my blog, that sometimes I'm better off not saying anything, which has often been a long-standing policy of mine and not one I care for. But I guess that's out of context. The quote it comes from reads, "I will walk without noise, I will open the door in darkness, and I will." It's from Jonathan Safran Foer's "Everything is Illuminated" and implies a sort of silent obligation which was the whole appeal in the first place. I like the idea of working life and its impending uncertainty with total willingness. It implies a degree of humilty I could pray to one day possess.

Feel free to come see us at the Wildhorse this week. Thursday from 8 til close and Friday from 7 till close. Cheers!

1 comment:

emily said...

first of all....I can't belive they actually played "honkeytonk badonkadonk" but more importantly...you are really good at faking a country guitar player, all you needed was one of them big ol belt buckles and a nice pair of them there cowboy boots! can't wait to come back again thursday!