Friday, February 17, 2006

for crying out loud!

I just read a Reuters feed saying that a Pakistani cleric has offered a $1 Million bounty on the person who drew the Muhammed cartoons in the Danish newspaper. I don't know what else to say right now but wow. I realize religions have been criticized and satirized for years, persecuted to all kinds of degrees, but I never thought I would see leaders in a faith offering a fortune for someone's head. As a Christian, I realize we are by no means innocent of blood shed and viscious over-reaction, but I never expected to hear that in this modern world. For deeper thoughts, check out Jon Krakauer's "Under the Banner of Heaven". It's a look into Mormon fundamentalists, which is quite similar to Islamic fundamentalism in ways, and also has some thought provoking discussion on faith at extremes.

On another note, I recently picked up Duncan Shiek's new record, "White Limosene". If you've never listen to him, he's a terrific songwriter who writes unorthidox pop music that's easily digested. Plus, his band is terrific, including one of my favorite guitarists, Gerry Leonard. Another cool thing about the record is that he included a DVD-ROM of the record with it that allows you to remix the record on your own computer. Pretty cool stuff. Alrighty then...happy friday!

No comments: