Wednesday, March 01, 2006

public service announcement

First, I must begin with a confession; I really like tea. To be more specific, I like loose leaf tea with a dollop of milk and a teaspoon of sugar. Yesterday, with this in mind, I decided to go find a tea pot with my friend Jordan. We wandered into Davis Cookware and Cutlery, the quaint and cluttered little shop in Hillsboro Village, to find a shelf full of pots. The clerk, along with his brother and father, was quick to help, leading me to a pot in my price range and then talking me through a selection of teas. As time progressed, our conversation switched to music and the man's brother quickly chimed in. We talked about Monterey Pop, CSNY, Zeppelin, King Crimson, and a whole world of live music that the two brothers had the pleasure of enjoying. Jordan and I shared in their joy at recounting their experiences and left the store an hour later, charmed from my experience. The bottom line is the men in this store are delightful, helpful, and their tea is terrific. If you drink tea, or need kitchen ware, please pay them a visit and help to keep them open.

Oddly enough, I saw a ghost from my recent past in the Village as we drove away. His name is Johnny Bonanno and if you have kept up with my life at all in the last three months, you know exactly who he is. If not, check out the lone blog on my myspace page. The short of it, otherwise, is that he's the guy who scammed some bandmates and myself into thinking we were going on tour with Shania Twain. And there he was, walking in the Village. I was stunned and simply couldn't even muster the energy to speak to him. I had deleted all the numbers of people relevant to the incident as a way of letting it go so I had no way of contacting the other people involved in the scam. All I could do, or really felt like doing, was just stare. I honestly thought he was dead; long story.

Tomorrow, I head to a banquet for abstinence education. My sister is the CEO of this non-profitt group in Chattanooga and some friends and I are doing dinner music. Nothing like playing romantic jazz standards at an abstinence dinner. Cheers.

4 comments:

april said...

and you know, i thought the music was exceptionally 'romantic' at the banquet last night. put donors right in the mood--waaaait a minute.
good to finally meet you! hope greyfriars kicked in just in time for your drive back to nashvegas. maybe i'll see you over there when our lacrosse team makes the trip for away games.
cheers! april

Unknown said...

hey, is there any way you could describe this johnny bonanno character? i'mwondering if he's the same dude that is living with my friend in gainesville, fl and claims to play guitar for shania twain, have a degree from harvard and also have cancer. riiiiiiight... his first month's rent is late.

decogirl28 said...

I am wondering about Johnny too. A guy by that name is staying with my aunt and is saying the same things. I've been googling him tonight trying to check facts because i don't want them or me getting screwed. That's how I found your blog. Anyway, can't find your myspace for the whole story so anything you can tell would be cool.

Whit said...

kelly and decogirl, if you want more info on johnny, send an email to whitstiles@hotmail.com so that I can reply back to you.