Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I Read the News Today, Oh Boy...

A landmark occasion was all over the news today as the state of California began issuing marriage licenses to gay couples. It was a “victory for humanity” in those approximate words according to the mayor of San Francisco, and the media was a flutter with stories of long-expectant couples eagerly awaiting this day. The centerpiece of the spot on NPR this morning focused on a lesbian couple in their 80’s who have been together for over 50 years. They were the first couple to be wed under the new law, and their frail voices expressed relief. Family surrounded them and they celebrated.

No piece of controversial reporting would be complete without a trip to the other side, however, and the news team soon found their way to the protesters gathered around city hall. One man was introduced as a “born again Christian”, that all too immediate “I’m with Pat Robertson” tag, and he quickly explained that he believed God would bring destruction upon this country for the things that are happening. NPR is my primary news source, and their bias was quite obvious this morning. The voice of the Christian majority, preaching condemnation and destruction.

I once wrote the question a while back, and you can dig for it if you want to, “can you legislate morality?” This is not a blog about gay marriage, I’m not going there, but this is a matter of politics. You see, the man on NPR this morning, with his picket sign and sharp words, was lobbying the political process to uphold his Christian morals. We as Christians in America do this all the time, seeking protection from the imminent cultural implosion taking place around us. Protect us from criticism, protect us from liberalism, save our babies, and keep our teenagers virgins. We place God on our side and vote from our pews; we grow complacent. How little we understand the plight of the millions of Christians operating the world over, not only without government protection but under open persecution of the very institution designed to protect them. It is not the government’s job to protect our morals, but it is our job to uphold our own.

The conservative right is not the only side to do this. I am a member of a generation alienated by the church and bitter because of it. The church as we knew it has become an enemy and so many young Christians have made the swing to the left in the name grace and justice. The gospel of Christ is transformed into a liberal political agenda as we lobby the government to take up the fight against poverty, homelessness, hunger, health, and global justice. I am guilty of this liberal swing and I, along with so many others, have turned to my government to do the dirty work I find so daunting. These are good things, Biblical things, issues close to the heart of Christ, but they are not the government’s job.

I had breakfast with a friend this morning, and we talked about the Declaration of Independence. He is a seminary student, quite smart, and he explained that close examination of this document does not point to a nation founded on Christian principles but rather deistic, almost universalist beliefs. Further study of the founding fathers would also indicate that many, such as Thomas Jefferson himself, followed in this universalist mindset, though I had long believed our founders to be devoted Christ followers. Our government protects the right to practice religion, but it does not protect the rights of one over any others. We Christians in America have long lived like it has. It shows in the way we have sheltered ourselves in our churches, and called upon our leaders to look after us. As the world burns around us, we roast marshmallows.

I think it is a dangerous thing for the government to legislate religious morality, though it is essential it legislate fundamental morals. Human life is valuable and murder is a crime. I am also of the opinion that abortion and the death penalty are no different. Basic human life, period. But what about a day like today? As I listened to the piece, it was obvious the elderly women being interviewed loved each other, but in my heart of hearts I believe their relationship to be sinful. What do I do with this?

This afternoon the same news service reported that over 25 million people are currently living as refugees under the protection of the United Nations. Floods rock the Chinese provence devastated by a massive earthquake only a month ago, and the rains are not suspected to subside for another ten days. Hundreds of thousands are dead and displaced by a massive cyclone in the nation of Myanmar, and their wicked government works to tie the hands of global relief organizations desperate to help the victims. Even on our own soil, nearly 90% of the counties in Iowa have been declared disaster areas as flood waters continue to rise. What do I do with this?

The honest answer is that I do not know. Would Jesus hold a picket sign on the streets of San Francisco? I doubt it, but I am certain he would oppose gay marriage. In spite of this, I am also certain he would have friends in the gay community, and he would be very good at loving them. Would Jesus have petitioned the government to feed the poor around him or provide social services to the homeless, prostitutes, and drug addicts? Probably not. Jesus showed little patience or interest in the function of government, but instead he dwelled with the vagabonds, loved and transformed them, even though the religious people around called him a “drunkard”.

To the Pharisees, it was Israel versus the world and like them we point our fingers and walk our picket lines. But to Jesus, we were all children of God with no more of this "us and them" garbage. He lovingly urged others to sin no more, and to take up the cause of the poor and the widow.

These thoughts consume me as I look towards November, and I consider what is important. I have no wisdom compelling me to where to assign my voice at the polling station, and in this era of the shallow entertainment we call news media, the issues are as lost to me as all the toiletries I’ve left behind in hotel bathrooms over the years. Yet I am entirely certain of one thing - conservative or liberal, it is time we stop hiding behind our government, and quit counting on them to do the job Christ died for us to do. To trust our government to uphold our morals and be the hands and feet of Christ is to sell God and the power he has generously bestowed to us, his people, through his Spirit so very short.

May God dispel the fear that drives my complacency, and forgive my shallow faith, for my sin so graciously forgiven was just as worthy of destruction as that of those we so bitterly speak against. Gay, genocidal, infanticidal, adulterous, war mongering, greedy, and prideful - we are all born equals.

11 comments:

Hamilton Barber said...

You, sir, hit the nail on the head. You brought up so many points that I haven't ever even thought about. Thanks for bringing this stuff up!

Nato said...

once again, friend, beautiful, poignant writing. i wholeheartedly agree with most points. sounds like yet another topic to ponder with a pint.

Sarah said...

I love this. I want to submit it to something...hmmm...I'm going to get on that. Such talent. I'm very proud of how you think.:)

Sean Fritz said...

Wonderful post.

JML said...

It's my hope that more young people would come to this conclusion, that we can ease off the government a little and our influence could be seen through cultural interaction on a personal level, rather than just showing up when something provokes us. It's difficult though, and we're just a little on the lazy side. I include myself in that statement. I like the way you write. Great post.

Charlie said...

Good post. I, personally, believe allowing gays to marry is fundamentally right... if marriage was purely a religious act, it would be one thing, but since marriage *in this country* means certain rights for spouses, it should be a non-issue. Equal rights. All men are created equal. Either allow gays to marry, or change the entire system of spousal entitlement. (sorry, I know you specifically said that wasn't what your post is about.)

Now that that's off my chest, I totally, totally agree with your sentiment re: religion/state. The "Christian Coalition" is made up of Pharisees USING religion to further their own careers. This may not mean much coming from me, but I believe Jesus would be disgusted with the lot of them. I'm proud of our generation for finally realizing that to get things done, we gotta do it ourselves. These old politicians are just standing in the way.

adam said...

really loved this post, yo. and i have been pondering over the exact same things and have come to some of the exact same thoughts, almost word for word.

i guess that means we should be friends or something.

adam said...

dude, email me and let me know what your plans are. i'm pretty sure i'll be around and i'd love to see you, if only for a bit.

ajrosenbaum[at]gmail[dot]com

Unknown said...

Hello my next door roomie.
I, like most of your other commenters it seems, have come to a similar conclusion as you on issues like this. I think it bodes well for the future of our culture and Christianity that younger people are thinking for ourselves and not just accepting the (often) legalist ideas that churches have been know to throw around

Stephanie said...

Well said Whit - thank you!!

Bill Stiles said...

Great post, Whit. I believe we lost the gay marriage debate in the 60's and 70's when Christians in general showed their marriages were no more special or sacred to them than the rest of the culture. We need to point our examination inward, repent, live as Christ showed us, then flavor and illuminate the culture as salt and light, not force and might. It is our only real hope for change.